[xmonad] does it make any sense?

Andrea Rossato mailing_list at istitutocolli.org
Fri Nov 16 16:39:55 EST 2007

Hi.

Sorry if I keep bothering with that. I don't know why, but
documentation is something I care quite a lot about, and I don't know
if what I'm doing, which is also quire time consuming, is worthy.

I'm writing the new Documentation module[1] as if it were a tutorial
for haskell beginners or intermediate users who want to start playing
with configuring xmonad. The idea, in part supported by David if I did
correctly understand him, was to have an introduction to xmonad
internals...

...which brings me to two question:

1. who should be the audience of a documentation like that, which
   remains a Haddock library documentation?

2. what is a user required to know in order to being actually able to
   configure xmonad?

I mean, if I get it right, customizing the key bindings means dealing
with a Data.Map.Map, with insertions, unions, and so forth. To be done
explicitly in Haskell. Which makes configuration so powerful and
everything so exciting. This is why we like XMonad, after all. This is
why we did not write a window manager, but a library to let every user
write a window manager in 3 lines of haskell! But if you don't know
Haskell at all and don't care anything about it?

I think I need some help documenting that: should I stick with my
initial proposal or should we find a better way to write something
targeted at a broader audience? i think that, in this second case,
things get more complicated. And is it the right place for something
intended for the general user?

Any suggestion is welcome.

Andrea

[1] http://gorgias.mine.nu/xmonad/xmonad-contrib/Documentation.html