[xmonad] Prompt: Keys not working

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Fri Nov 30 07:46:41 EST 2007

On Fri, Nov 30, 2007 at 12:50:47PM +0100, Andrea Rossato wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 29, 2007 at 06:27:37PM +0100, Dominik Bruhn wrote:
> > Your right, I didnt restart the X-Server for days but it helped. So
> > thanks a lot!
>
> As I said I'm suffering of a similar issue here and, as long as I can
> say, it all started when I upgraded to X.org (7.2 and now xorg-1.3).
>
> But what drives me mad is the fact the X virtual memory usage keeps
> growing at a reate of about 20/40 mega a day, and X will eventually
> eat all my swap space. The only way out is an X restart, something I
> really hate since it takes quite some time to restart all my
> applications.
>
> Right now  this is what top is reporting:
>
>   PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND
>  2009 root      15   0  624m  60m 2636 S  1.0 12.0 191:17.24 X
>
> X has been running for not more than 16 days, a quite short period of
> time - if possible I never quit X and never reboot.
>
> Note that only the virtual memory usage grows: resident memory is
> quite constant.
>
> I tried to understand what the hell is going on, but I didn't find
> anything I could relate to this problem.
>
> If someone has some hints I would really appreciate.

(Obviously) sounds like a memory leak.  Presumably we're allocating X
resources and never freeing them.  But since they're unused, they get
swapped out.  I suppose this means carefully auditing all X calls.  I wish
we had *slightly* higher-level X calls that did GC for us (i.e. had
finalizers to destroy objects when they're no longer in use).  It'd be
slightly problematic, since finalizers aren't guaranteed to be called at
exit, so we might leak something when we restart, but that seems like a
small danger relative to that of leaking while we run.
--
David Roundy
Department of Physics