[Xmonad] workspace/xinerama confusion

Andrew Sackville-West andrew at swclan.homelinux.org
Tue Oct 2 23:22:00 EDT 2007

Hi list,

I am new to xmonad, but am immediately liking it (coming from wmii). I
am running debian sid with xmonad 0.3. My dual-head setup is running
xinerama but it doesn't seem to behave the way I would expect from the
manpage and online stuff.

Specifically, when I create a series of windows, xmonad treats the two
screens as one very wide screen. So, for example, the first xterm is
two screens/monitors wide. The second one causes the screens to split down the
middle with one xterm on each screen (monitor that is). The third
xterm ends up on the right hand monitor which is split in half to
accomodate both xterms. I can navigate between all the windows with
mod-k/j, switch windows into the master window with mod-return
etc. But this all happens across the two monitors.

When I switch to workspace 2 (mod-2) I get a blank screen (as there
are no wondows there). switch back with mod-1, mod-shift-2 a window,
mod-2 and there it is, two monitors wide.

This doesn't seem to jive with what I've read -- that each screen
should have its own control and be assigned a different workspace.

I suspect I have not configured X properly so here is the likely
pertinent portion:

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "X.org Configured"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
        Screen      1  "Screen1" RightOf "Screen0"
        InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
        Option          "Xinerama" "true"
EndSection

I will happily provide more detail if needed.

What am I missing here?

thanks