[Xmonad] runXXX

Christian Thiemann mail at christian-thiemann.de
Sun Oct 7 18:30:00 EDT 2007

Hi,

I am currently looking into all the XMonadContrib modules to see what I
like and what I don't want to have in my Config.hs.

I noticed some modules import Dmenu just for the runProcessWithInput
function.  I don't have dmenu installed on my system and I think it's a
little confusing (at least on first sight) that some module pulls in
Dmenu without actually using dmenu (I was always like "oh no, it needs
dmenu to be installed - no wait, it just uses runProcessWithInput").
Probably the runProcessWithInput function from Dmenu,
runProcessWithInputAndWait from Dzen and runInXTerm from RunInXTerm
could be merged into some module called e.g. Run or RunProcess.  I think
that way the contents of the modules are more consistent with their names.

Oh, and by the way (I hope that's not a FAQ): When I add a new layout to
the defaultLayouts I need to quit xmonad and start it again - the mod-q
restart feature won't give me the new layouts.  Is this a bug or a
feature?  (I find it quite annoying, since killing xmonad means killing
my whole X session... so I use an Xnest testbed for looking at the
layout modules.)

Cheers,
   Christian

--