[Xmonad] Issue 56 in xmonad: Focus is not given to correct window when switching virtual desktops

Tobias Hammerschmidt tobias.hammerschmidt at gmx.de
Mon Oct 8 03:30:11 EDT 2007

codesite-noreply at google.com schrieb:
> Issue 56: Focus is not given to correct window when switching virtual
> desktops
> http://code.google.com/p/xmonad/issues/detail?id=56
>
> Comment #1 by SpencerJanssen:
> This is by design.  We remember the current focus of each workspace --
> the idea is
> that the user will want to continue working in the same window when
> returning to a
> workspace.
>
> In common window manager jargon, xmonad uses "sloppy focus" rather than
> strict "focus
> follows mouse".  Focus is only changed when:
>
> - the user presses one of the navigation keys like mod-j
>  - the user crosses the boundaries of a visible window from outside to
> inside with
> the mouse pointer
> - the user clicks the mouse button over an unfocused window
>

> Issue attribute updates:

Maybe this is a little bit of topic but is there a way to configure
xmonad's focus behaviour? I find it e.g. annoying when firefox pops up
status windows like "send data encrypted". They are allways showing up
in the floating layer and are steeling focus from other applications.
There are also some "security considerations". Imagine you have firefox
running and you are going to connect to a page which needs
authorization. While connecting you start an xterm by mod-alt-return.
Now firefox shows the authorization dialog but while you are entering
name and passwort suddenly xterm is ready and gets focus. Bad luck when
you are entering your plaintext password in the xterm window
accidentally and Mallory is watching your screen. Ok one solution might
be the guideline "don't open xterms when entering confidential
information" but a configurable focus behaviour would be nicer imho ;)