[Xmonad] dynamic workspaces, session restore

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Tue Oct 16 11:10:56 EDT 2007

On Tue, Oct 16, 2007 at 04:22:17PM +0300, Valery V. Vorotyntsev wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There are a couple ideas I would like to discuss.
>
> 1) Fixed number of workspaces is too inflexible and somewhat ugly, IMO.
>
>    What about creating workspaces by demand, instead? The same way
>    `ion' does to workspaces or screen to its "windows".

I agree.  You could try the DynamicWorkspaces module in contrib (which I
wrote), which allows you to add and remove workspaces.  I've been meaning
(one day) to write an XPrompt extension that allows you to either select an
existing (named) workspace or create a new one (by typing in a new name),
but haven't gotten around to it.  I really liked that feature of ion3,
which allows me to easily keep track of workspaces (and add and remove them
just as easily).

As someone else pointed out, you could also approximate the dynamic
workspace with RotView (which I also wrote) but it's a bit ugly, in my
opinion.
--
David Roundy
Department of Physics