[Xmonad] darcs patch: ManageHook list interface (and 1 more)

Spencer Janssen sjanssen at cse.unl.edu
Wed Oct 17 01:14:34 EDT 2007

On Thursday 11 October 2007 18:06:22 mail at joachim-breitner.de wrote:
> Sat Oct  6 18:03:24 CEST 2007  mail at joachim-breitner.de
>   * ManageHook list interface
>   This patch implements the proposed manageLog interface outlined in
>   http://code.google.com/p/xmonad/issues/detail?id=54
>
>   Note that all the Data.Monoid stuff is just to avoid writing
>   foldl (.) id
>   as mconcat. Maybe foldl (.) id is nicer in this case.
>
>   I’m not sure if I put the ManageHook type declaration in the right spot.
>
>   I did not adjust any plugins to the new interface, although the recently
> commited ManageDocks.hs by chance already had this interface :-)
>
>   The Config.hs could probably need some example, as soon as some plugins
> use this interface
>
>   > -- Add hooks from imported extensions, e.g.
>   > manageHooks = [ floatGimp, manageDocksHook ]
>
>   Greetings,
>   Joachim

This removes important functionality: the ability for users to write simple
window management rules without mucking about with getClassHints and such.  I
do think we need a way to compose management rules, but we can't compromise
the simple user-facing interface.

> Fri Oct 12 00:53:26 CEST 2007  mail at joachim-breitner.de
>   * Hook for broadcastMessage messages
>   Hi,
>
>   this patch adds a new hook, messageHook. This patch should probably not
> go into the darcs repository (because this is a very specific hook), at
> least not before 0.4 and not before a proper hook interface is in place.
>
>   Nevertheless it is needed by people who want to try the interactive
> EwhmDesktops, see the patch against contrib coming in next.
>
>   Greetins,
>   Joachims

Typically we've stuck event handling things in layouts and layout modifiers.
Not sure whether an explicit hook or reusing layouts is better.

Cheers,
Spencer Janssen