[Xmonad] Commets on my Hooks proof-of-concept

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Thu Oct 18 11:43:16 EDT 2007

Hi,

As you can see, I partially implemented the proposed hook system. Here
an overview:

XMonadContrib/Hook.hs
This quite small file contains all the magic of the Hook system. It is
intended to go to xmonad/ directly some day.

XMonadContrib/HooksProxy.hs
This shows how the hooks should be called from the core one day, and is
meant to be called from Config.hs for now.

XMonadContrib/WinNameManage.hs
(sorry for the bad name)
An example of how to implement the name matching functionality currently
provided in the core as an extension, using the hook system.

I have adjusted two more extensions to the new hooks system.

Note that I have not yet added the MessageHook to the HooksProxy, as I
haven’t worked with LayoutModifiers yet.

I think it should be clear where this is heading, but this should, after
due discussion, either be thrown away or moved to the core. In contrast
to matching window names, a hook infrastructure should not be in a
contrib module, and there should be only one of these around.

I hope this will make the discussion a bit more productive and get more
people involved.

Greetings,
Joachim

--