[Xmonad] darcs patch: add modules to deal with Workspaces (select, etc) by n...

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery at ece.cmu.edu
Thu Oct 18 16:53:29 EDT 2007

On Oct 18, 2007, at 13:16 , David Roundy wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 18, 2007 at 07:23:15PM +0300, Valery V. Vorotyntsev wrote:
>> BTW, could someone tell me, why does
>>   , ((modMask .|. shiftMask, xK_a), renameWorkspace defaultXPConfig)
>> work and
>>   , ((modMask, xK_A), renameWorkspace defaultXPConfig)
>> (no shift, the capital `A') does not?
>
> Not me... (and not because I'm being unfriendly, either)

Because xmonad listens on untranslated key events, whereas xK_A is a
translated key event (the translation absorbing the shift status).
This is also why there are problems when numlock/capslock are
engaged:  translation normally removes those, but the window manager
bindings operate at a lower level.

Note that, while xmonad could be changed to operate on translated
events, that could cause other problems:  notably, for those of us
who can't allocate e.g. a Windows key to xmonad, we would lose the
ability to pass through modifier bindings that xmonad itself doesn't
use.

system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] allbery at ece.cmu.edu