[Xmonad] issue building xmonad on OS X 10.4

Vincent Kraeutler vincent at kraeutler.net
Sat Oct 20 05:23:43 EDT 2007

Don Stewart wrote:
> vincent:
>
>> Dear xmonad list,
>>
>> I would like to report a build problem with xmonad on OS X 10.4 as well as
>> a) a tentative description of the problem;
>> b) a hackish fix which seems to work for me.
>>

> Can I just confirm this was fixed by runhaskell Setup.lhs clean in the
> xmonad directory? (And is this bug in ghc's recompilation checker:
>
>     http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/1372
>
> -- Don

I am afraid simply running runhaskell Setup.lhs clean did not (directly)
fix it for me (after all, my initial attempts had been using a clean
X11-extras package, IIRC). Also, the X11-extras package I had (the 0.4
tarball from hackage) did not contain the README file that Brandon
hinted at. However, the current darcs version did. So here's what worked
for me:

1. pull the newest version of X11-extras from darcs,
2. run autoreconf, as suggested in the README,
3. then do the usual cabal for X11-extras and xmonad.

I lack the know-how to be able to tell with certainty whether the issue
was indeed due to the problem described in the above ticket. But it
seems to be at least closely related.

One more suggestion: have you considered doing a qualified import for
the X11-extras? It would have certainly led to a more easily debuggable
problem. I understand that you're using quite a number of symbols from
X11-extras, so that might be a bit more clutter than you're willing to
take. But I'd be interested in hearing your opinion.

Kind regards,
v.