[Xmonad] Window tags (automagic) + assign workspace to windows on startup

Xiao-Yong Jin xj2106 at columbia.edu
Sat Sep 8 11:26:37 EDT 2007

Karsten Schoelzel <kuser at gmx.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> extending the patch with automagic-tagging and automagic-moving of
> on window start
>
>   This patch needs changes to the core of xmonad to work,
>   but most work is done is in the TagWindows module:
>   - add/delete tags
>   - automatically adding tags on window creation based on window class, name, command
>   - use tags for automagically assigning workspaces to windows (including floating status)
>       * adding a tag "~" makes the window floating initially

This could play quite well with mplayer.

>       * adding a existing workspace id will move the window to workspace with that id,
>           e.g. adding "2" will move the window to the second workspace

Then you need to define some specific groups of tags, like
"1", "2",... for workspace and the "~" for floating.
Otherwise, it could easily get confused when you assign more
integers to it, couldn't it?

>   - change focus restricted to a group of windows with a specified tag,
>       either only on the current workspace or globally
>
> The two rules in tagMatches below state:
>   - tag every window with WM_CLASS = gimp with the tags "2" and "~",
>         thus moving them to workspace "2" and float them
>   - tag every xterm window which has "screen" as an argument gets with
>     "abc"
>
> As it is a bit invasive I'd like to hear your comments.
>
> Regards,
> Karsten

As you described, it looks quite impressive.  And I really
like this idea.  Apart from assigning predefined tags, I'd
like a method to change the tag dynamically.  Could it be a
smart way to use the XPrompt code to assign the tag and
later choose some specific tag?
--