[Xmonad] How to combine xmonad with Ubuntu?

Alec Berryman alec at thened.net
Mon Sep 10 12:57:00 EDT 2007

Andy Gimblett on 2007-09-10 17:02:06 +0100:

> Hmmm, thinking on, I seem to recall seeing a screenshot of xmonad with
> a KDE kicker at the bottom, around the time status bars started
> happening...  Ah, here we are: looks like Spencer's the expert here.
>
>     http://xmonad.org/images/screen-sjanssen-kde-kicker.png
>
> (on http://xmonad.org/contrib.html)
>
> Maybe you can do something similar with whatever app Gnome uses to
> display its menu/status?  (Or maybe it's an intractable mess of
> interconnected bloat - I really don't know. :-) )

I need access to GNOME's network applet (nm-applet) to do wireless with
WPA - it's just been a mess for me otherwise.  There's no command-line
analogue, and xmonad won't display just the applet in its own window, so
I've been using 'trayer' to start it up and do my configuration.  More
than a bit of a hack, but works well enough.