[Xmonad] [HUMOR] xmonad useless without programming skills ?

Andrea Rossato mailing_list at istitutocolli.org
Fri Sep 14 08:17:18 EDT 2007

On Fri, Sep 14, 2007 at 10:56:34AM +0000, Xavier Maillard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Each time I try to update xmonad (from darcs), my Config.hs is broken. This is,
> for me, the major drawback of xmonad. I do not understand any a line of Haskell
> and thus I am lost after each upgrade.

Well, there were some changes to Config.hs but the core developers
seem quite committed in keeping the configuration file as stable as
possible, so hopefully this should not be a major issue in the future.

> Although I love xmonad, it is useless since I can't benefit of any upgrade
> without boring you about my new Config.hs's problems...

Probably there can be safer ways of modifying Config.hs. I actually
think that a XMonad tutorial is really something we need. I'm thinking
about giving directions to Haskell new comers on how to configure
XMonad. The guided tour is great for introducing to commands and usage
patterns, but probably teaching to non-haskellers the meaning of each
configuration option, and the possibilities of a Haskell configuration
file, could be a powerful incentive to start studying it - a
programming language capable of turning a lawyer into a xmonad hacker.

But there is all this buzz about people writing tutorials on topics
related to monads... If they just called it XArrow and used a Kleisli
type ...
;-)

Andrea