[Xmonad] i18n for XPrompt

Xiao-Yong Jin xj2106 at columbia.edu
Fri Sep 14 10:06:21 EDT 2007

Andrea Rossato <mailing_list at istitutocolli.org> writes:

> On Fri, Sep 14, 2007 at 12:15:03AM -0400, Xiao-Yong Jin wrote:
>> Finally, one not related to the new patch is that some
>> special characters, like spaces or quotes, in the path name
>> are not properly escaped, which in turn makes the path name
>> completion useless, when such characters are in the path.
>> It completes, but apparently the completion doesn't work
>> properly.
>
> I'm a bit puzzled about escaping spaces, actually. Now the string in
> the prompt is broken down to words in order to use the last one for
> finding new completions: this is what makes it possible to complete a
> command and then complete a file path. How can I tell which space must
> be escaped and which is not to be escaped?
>
> I think we should just replicate the behavior of a command line: you
> must manually escape characters, and I must take that into account when
> splitting the string.
>
> Am I right? What do you think?
>
> Andrea

Is it possible to do it like a shell completion, which is
completed when you usually type tab in a shell?  The path is
escaped when it is completed.  For example, when I type

$ xpdf f[TAB]

bash will expand it into

$ xpdf file\ name\ has\ special\ characters\ \@\"#\?\$\\\*\\\(\\\)\\\]\\\[\\\;.pdf

Xiao-Yong