[Xmonad] ideas for new layouts and layout modifiers

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Fri Sep 28 13:33:26 EDT 2007

On Thu, Sep 27, 2007 at 04:09:38PM -0300, Isaac Dupree wrote:
> David Roundy wrote:
> >1. WindowNavigator
> >
> >  A layout modifier that keeps track of the rectangles of visible windows
> >  and a "cursor" point, to allow keybindings for "shift focus
> >  up/down/left/right" in a real geometric manner.  It's independent of the
> >  tiling algorithm used.  A key point is that moving left followed by right
> >  will always return focus to its original position (except sometimes if
> >  the layout of the screen changes when you move focus left).
>
> Please display somehow (a *faint* red border?) the trail of windows that
> you'll go to with left or right.  It annoys me in word processors that I
> can't see where up or down is going to take me to.  Modal badness...
> (Although with xmonad, I don't put more than a few windows on a
> workspace and usually use full-screen, so it doesn't actually make much
> of a difference to me)

I've implemented this module, and even wrote the code for your special
border (which I made bright blue so I'd be sure to know if it worked), but
my border-setting code apparently didn't work as it ought, so I commented
it out.  Suggestions would be appreciated.  I don't like X color stuff, it
looks scary.
--
David Roundy
Department of Physics