[Xmonad] darcs patch: enable color setting in WindowNavigation.

Andrea Rossato mailing_list at istitutocolli.org
Sat Sep 29 08:18:30 EDT 2007

On Sat, Sep 29, 2007 at 04:46:42AM -0700, David Roundy wrote:
> You can't yet customize the color.  I'll add that when it's
> clear that this is seen as an improvement.

Sorry, this is not specific to this configuration options you arr
talking, but in general to the way we handle X resources after we lost
you previous modular design (with Decoration).

I'm thinking about using Decoration to write some functions handy when
painting to the screen. Something like this should be possible, if I
remember correctly:

colorToPixel 		:: String   -> X Pixel
createNewWindow[1] 	:: Reactangle -> X Window
hideWindow		:: Window -> X ()
showWindow		:: Window -> X ()
deleteWindow		:: Window -> X ()
paintWindow 		:: Window -> Reactangle -> BGColor  -> FGColor -> X Window
paintWindowWithBorder	:: Window -> Reactangle -> Int -> BGColor  -> FGColor -> BorderColor -> X Window
printInWindow	       	:: Window -> FontStruc/Set -> Position -> Position -> FGColor -> BGColor -> String ->X Window
--printInWindow (?)   	:: Window -> Rectangle -> FontStruc/Set -> FGColor -> BGColor -> String -> X Window

[1] with theRoot as parent
Colors are string.

This way we only need to deal with the font struct, which cannot be
created on the fly as we can do with the GC. That was the major
problem of the old tabbed layout, after all - (which, to me, seems a X
issue).

I would like to know what you guys think about it and if you can give
me suggestions/directions before starting to write.

Andrea