[xmonad] darcs patch: Shell.hs: +getBrowser, getEditor, helper... (and 5 more)

Spencer Janssen sjanssen at cse.unl.edu
Thu Apr 3 16:20:22 EDT 2008

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 10:32:52PM -0400, gwern0 at gmail.com wrote:
> Mon Mar 31 21:34:47 EDT 2008  gwern0 at gmail.com
>   * Shell.hs: +getBrowser, getEditor, helper function
>   The helper function asks the shell for the value of a variable, else returns the second argument.
>   getBrowser and getEditor obviously specialize it for two particular possibly queries
>
> Mon Mar 31 21:39:47 EDT 2008  gwern0 at gmail.com
>   * Search.hs: remove an argument from selectSearch and promptSearch
>   The new getBrowser function allows us to mv the old selectSearch and promptSearch aside as too-general functions, and replace them with new versions, which employ getBrowser to supply one more argument. This allows us to replace the tedious 'selectSearch google "firefox"; selectSearch yahoo "firefox"...' with shorter 'selectSearch google' and so on. One less argument.
>
>   Also, update the docs.
>
> Mon Mar 31 21:50:49 EDT 2008  gwern0 at gmail.com
>   * RunOrRaise.hs: FF 3 doesn't use the "Firefox-bin" classname
>
> Mon Mar 31 22:17:40 EDT 2008  gwern0 at gmail.com
>   * WindowGo.hs: +raiseBrowser, raiseEditor
>   Specialize runOrRaise in the same way as with Actions.Search, for one's browser and one's editors.
>
> Mon Mar 31 22:20:12 EDT 2008  gwern0 at gmail.com
>   * forgot a haddock for getEditor in Shell.hs
>
> Mon Mar 31 22:31:30 EDT 2008  gwern0 at gmail.com
>   * improve WindowGo.hs Haddock formatting

I think this $EDITOR business is a bit silly, for several reasons.  $EDITOR by
default is set to a terminal based program, like vi or nano.  This means that
the raiseEditor function, for many users (essentially everyone that doesn't use
emacs), is totally useless.  What is the advantage of raiseEditor over
runOrRaise "emacs"?

Also, I'm morally opposed to the default of "emacs" in getEditor, but we can
leave religion out of this.

Cheers,
Spencer Janssen