[xmonad] Gaps not working

Juraj Hercek juhe_xmonad at hck.sk
Tue Apr 8 07:00:14 EDT 2008

Bas van Dijk wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've noticed that the support for 'gaps' has been removed from xmonad
> 0.7. I see that the gaps can now be added by the extension module:
> XMonad.Hooks.ManageDocks. However I'm having some trouble getting
> xmonad to recognize my xmobar dock. Here are the relevant parts from
> my xmonad.hs: (I also attached the full file and my .xmobarrc in case
> it matters)

Hi Bas,

Problem is that "Static" position in xmobar doesn't handle struts. Use
Top/Bottom/TopW/BottomW instead of Static to get gaps working. If you
use xinerama and want to have xmobar on different screen than the first
one, take testing patch from
https://www.hck.sk/free/xmobar-testing-patches/xmobar_on_screen_position.dpatch
and use OnScreen X {SPEC}, where X is the screen number and {SPEC} is
one of Top/Bottom/TopW/BottomW/Static. Example taken from my .xmobarrc:
       , position = OnScreen 1 Top

HTH,
Juraj