[xmonad] Re: Patch: fix focus when user is moving the mouse

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Thu Apr 10 11:18:51 EDT 2008

On Wed, Apr 09, 2008 at 04:55:35PM -0500, Spencer Janssen wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 09, 2008 at 03:45:51PM -0600, Justin Bogner wrote:
> > Why isn't this good? the focus staying under the mouse seems more sane
> > than it going to an arbitrary window (the last).
>
> The choice isn't arbitrary, focus always goes to the next window in stack
> order.  The idea behind the current system is that the user can totally ignore
> the position of the mouse when managing windows -- and I'd rather avoid any
> change that breaks this property.

I agree with Spencer here.  I'm still not convinced that our current
approach is better than maintaining a focus stack, but it's definitely
better for the behavior when you close a window to no be dependent on
where the mouse happens to be, and how you happen to have shifted focus to
the current window.
--
David Roundy
Department of Physics