[xmonad] Wrong desktop on session restore

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery at ece.cmu.edu
Sun Apr 27 18:11:02 EDT 2008

On Apr 27, 2008, at 17:35 , Yitzchak Gale wrote:

> I wrote:
>>> I don't think xmonad needs to support that - it doesn't
>>> need to save or restore state. KDE does that part.
>
> Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH wrote:
>>  Actually it does --- KDE can only save and restore state if the
>> client
>> understands the WM_SAVE_YOURSELF protocol and posts a WM_COMMAND in
>> response.
>
> I was thinking of apps that do understand session management.
> But yes, we should also be able to do a simple re-open for apps
> that don't,
> with correctly restored geometry. KWin does that.

I think we're talking at cross purposes.  We don't save or restore
state for other applications; we *should* save and restore our *own*
state:  the same screen/workspace state preserved across Cmd-Q but
without any windows, as it's the session manager's and restarted
applications' jobs to recreate those.

system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] allbery at ece.cmu.edu