[xmonad] Re: Minimise windows?

Justin Bogner mail at justinbogner.com
Mon Aug 18 11:38:55 EDT 2008

Devin Mullins wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 08:08:57PM +0100, Magnus Therning wrote:
>> Another response mentions the TwoPane layout which I will use for the
>> time being, but I still think that minimising is a feature that does fit
>> with a tiling window manager.
> What UI do you imagine for this? When windows get minimized, do they get
> visualized in some xmonad-drawn way? In the dzen? Can multiple windows
> be minimized, and if so, how does one select which to restore?

We could do this in the EWMH module fairly sanely --- set the proper hint and
unmap the window. Similarly, it wouldn't be hard to output enough information
for dzen, should we wish to show minimized windows there. The problem with
minimization and not EWMH is, of course, how do you bring the window back?

As I see it, support for minimization would make a lot of sense in EWMH, but not
really anywhere else.