[xmonad] xmonad 0.8 release candidate

Joachim Breitner nomeata at debian.org
Fri Aug 29 05:49:07 EDT 2008

Hi,

Am Donnerstag, den 28.08.2008, 15:06 -0400 schrieb Gwern Branwen:
> On 2008.08.26 23:32:19 +0200, Joachim Breitner <mail at joachim-breitner.de> scribbled 1.6K characters:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Am Dienstag, den 26.08.2008, 16:23 -0400 schrieb Gwern Branwen:
> > > Or how about this UpdatePointer patch
> > > <http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/xmonad/2008-June/005845.html>? No
> > > comments, applies cleanly, and doesn't look fatally flawed to me.
> >
> > I know that _something_ behaved differently when I packaged and
> > installed the release candidate, although I wasn’t sure until you
> > notified me of this. I must have had it applied locally before.
>
> That's interesting. So you didn't see any problems with this patch?
> Did it get more widely used? If it's been de facto tested extensively
> already, application would be a good idea.

I’ve been using it since it was posted, and it’s fine. Without it, I
sometimes have mouse jumps away from popped up menus, just because
Xmonad felt it had to run loghook for some reason. From my POV, this is
tested and can be considered a bug fix, not a new feature, and therefore
could, with some goodwill, be applied in a release freeze :-)

I don’t know of anyone else using it, so if anyone on this list uses
UpdatePointer without these patches, please speak up.

> > I’m considering to apply it in the 0.8 Debian package when I package it,
> > so that I can use it myself unmodified. Of course, I’d prefer it to be
> > in the release, but I see that it’s a bit late for that.
> >
> > Greetings,
> > Joachim
>
> Well, I think it'd be a good thing for the official release to not be
> different from the packaged releases; whether the resolution should be
> you applying it and convincing dons & sjanssen to apply it, or whether
> they should convince you to not apply it I have no opinion on. I just
> think it was bad enough when all the Debian users had problems unique
> to them that I don't want even a mild repeat.

I understand, but OTOH it’s a equally good thing to actually for the
maintainer use the package as was released, to be able to properly
respond to user’s questions. Anyways, this is a very minor and local
change, and of course I’ll be responsible for any problems the Debian
users might have with UpdatePointer.

Greetings,
Joachim

--