[xmonad] Issue 168 in xmonad: gnome-panel with autohide enabled appears behind main windows

codesite-noreply at google.com codesite-noreply at google.com
Wed Dec 24 19:37:46 EST 2008

Comment #3 on issue 168 by gwern0: gnome-panel with autohide enabled
appears behind main windows

bogner suggested in #xmonad that the (relatively) new module Layout.Monitor
might
offer a way to hack around this issue. I can finally confirm that yes, it
actually
does. My modifications to my xmonad.hs looked like:

hunk ./.xmonad/xmonad.hs 14
+import XMonad.Layout.Monitor (addMonitor, Property(ClassName))
hunk ./.xmonad/xmonad.hs 28
-                         , layoutHook = avoidStruts $ smartBorders (Full ||
| Mirror
tiled ||| tiled )
+                         , layoutHook = hideGnome $ avoidStruts $
smartBorders $
(Full ||| Mirror tiled ||| tiled )
hunk ./.xmonad/xmonad.hs 37
+                 hideGnome = addMonitor (ClassName "gnome-panel")
(Rectangle 0 0 0 0)
hunk ./.xmonad/xmonad.hs 48
-                            className =? "Darwinia" --> unfloat ]
+                            className =? "Darwinia" --> unfloat,
+                            className =? "gnome-panel" --> doIgnore ]

Follow that by a restart of gnome-panel, and one gets a nicely autohidden
gnome-panel
which slides up over one's tiled windows on request.

I have no comments on bogner's patches, though. They may still be warranted
even if
one can hack around in this specific instance.