[xmonad] The future of PerWorkspace

Andrea Rossato mailing_list at istitutocolli.org
Fri Feb 1 02:49:32 EST 2008

On Fri, Feb 01, 2008 at 07:48:57AM +0100, Andrea Rossato wrote:
> That implementation IS ACTUALLY working and has been in xmc repository
> for a couple of days. Than I had to remove it since I asked for core
> support and I was told I would not get it.
>
> So, I removed it. And I asked you to forget all related patches.

by any chance, did you happen to read this bug report?

cheers,
andrea

ps: all this stuff has been documented by me here:

http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/xmonad/2008-January/004378.html
http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/xmonad/2008-January/004398.html
http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/xmonad/2008-January/004400.html
http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/xmonad/2008-January/004401.html
http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/xmonad/2008-January/004417.html
http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/xmonad/2008-January/004424.html
http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/xmonad/2008-January/004440.html
http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/xmonad/2008-January/004441.html
http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/xmonad/2008-January/004442.html
http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/xmonad/2008-January/004443.html

yesterday's messages omitted.

there are some other messages, sent before, documenting the progress
of the changes and giving testing example.

pps: i'm reading the IRC logs and I see someone is complaining because
I would be experimenting with his/her window manager, and that I
should keep my stuff in a private repository.

from http://code.haskell.org/~dons/irc/xmonad/2008-01-29.txt:

09:26:29 <arossato> still no comments/feedback on the new code I proposed...

19:40:10 <arossato> sjanssen dons: did you have a look at my code?
19:41:25 <sjanssen> arossato: a little bit.  Feel free to push it to the mainline any time
19:42:02 <dons> yeah, seriously, if you've considered it well, and it only affects config stuff, and you know its not going to break things, go ahead.
19:42:07 <arossato> sjanssen: I've just sent the LayoutCombinator class, with PerWorkspace ported to it.
19:42:42 <arossato> dons: it is going to make everything A LOT safer
19:43:38 <sjanssen> arossato: I think the way forward is to push it into the mainline -- we can start collecting bug reports (if any exist)
19:43:49 <sjanssen> and it will prod me a bit more to take a closer look :)
19:43:58 <dons> its a good time to push too.
19:44:07 <dons> do it now, and we'll have 4-6 weeks to sort it all out.
19:45:15 <arossato> I'm going to push within a hour (after dinner)

20:00:51 <arossato> droundy: the LayoutCombinator class is quite an
interesting beast... I was able to implement PerWorkspace in a few
lines... to be explored, definitely!

20:04:41 <arossato> pushed!

have a nice day!