[xmonad] screen redraw > 2s -> urxvt -tr in "noBorders Full" window

intrigeri at boum.org intrigeri at boum.org
Sat Feb 9 06:04:50 EST 2008

Hello,

ac007 at bluewin.ch wrote (08 Feb 2008 18:27:35 GMT) :
> When switching to/from a "noBorders Full" window containing urxvt with
> transparency, it takes almost 2 seconds for the screen to redraw.

> The screen redraw is almost instantanous with urxvt plain background
> and/or normal (with borders) "Full" window.

> Can't remember when i first noticed this... some weeks ago (maybe when i
> started using noBorders ? :)

I also noticed such behaviour, which seems related to
http://code.google.com/p/xmonad/issues/detail?id=135 ; the redraw time
seems to be the time needed for resizing the window N pixels, N being
the borders size. It seems to me that :
  - when leaving a noBorders workspace, the (previously hidden) border
    is first added to the current window, which triggers a window
    resize and thus a window redraw
  - when switching to a noBorders workspace, the border is first
    displayed, then removed, which also triggers a window
    resize/redraw

By the way, using smartBorders triggers a very similar issue.

Such a window resize/redraw is really slow with some Xorg drivers,
such as the nv one, especially with big screens and full screen
terminals. I’ve had to stop using noBorders and smartBorders because
of this bug.

Bye,
--
   <intrigeri at boum.org>