[xmonad] darcs patch: broadcastMessage now uses Operations.windows to update...

David Roundy daveroundy at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 09:49:19 EST 2008

Hi Andrea,

Your understanding sounds fundamentally right.  My concern with the
number of refreshes is a question of how many refreshes are called for
a single message.  Ideally if a single message results in every
workspace layout being modified (which is not an unreasonable
possibility), then it makes sense that refresh (which calls doLayout
on all visible workspaces) should be called just once, rather than
once for each workspace, which could be rather a waste if there are
many workspaces, and doLayout is expensive.

I do not think, however, that the number of refreshes is a critical
issue, since it's "only" an efficiency concern (+ a flickering
concern, which is actually more important), and is pretty easily
fixable without changing anything outside of core.

I don't see that your explanation invalidates any of my suggestions.
Is there a problem that you see with the slightly different approach I
suggested?

David