[xmonad] darcs patch: Applicative instance for X; new startupHook

Brent Yorgey byorgey at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 15:04:15 EST 2008

On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 2:57 PM, Don Stewart <dons at galois.com> wrote:

> byorgey:
> >    On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 2:17 PM, Don Stewart <[1]dons at galois.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >      This looks good. How does the startuphook differ from running code
> in
> >      main? It's easier for extensions to register hooks?
> >
> >    Well, the main reason is that this way, the startupHook can be run in
> the
> >    X monad, AFTER xmonad has initialized all its state and so forth.
>  Running
> >    code in main would only be able to run in IO.
>
> Ah yes, good point. This is in now. Did you have contrib patches to
> follow?

We just talked about this on IRC, but for the benefit of others following
the conversation -- it depends on the decision with regards to Andrea's
recent patch to the core, to incorporate runLayout into the LayoutClass.  If
that is accepted, then we'll use his (much better) reimplementation of
PerWorkspace, to make it work with xinerama.  Otherwise, I have a (not quite
as nice, but workable) patch to make PerWorkspace work using the
startupHook.

-Brent