[xmonad] Re: can one create layouts with fixed height or width for windows

Braden Shepherdson Braden.Shepherdson at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 22:35:19 EST 2008

Mark Goldman wrote:
> New to XMonad, and loving it.  Apologies if this has already come up
> and been answered, but I haven't been able to find anything through
> the usual suspects.
>
> Editing code in terminals would be the main reason I want this, but
> there are a couple of other apps that look better with their windows a
> fixed size.
>
> Is it possible, either through layouts or some other means to enforce
> that the maximum width a certain window can have?  I don't mind if
> there is a little wasted space on the screen, I really don't like
> violating the 80th column, however.
>
> Pointers and/or suggestions would be welcome.
>
> -mdg

As a quick and dirty solution, there's a contrib module called
XMonad.Hooks.ManageHelpers. It contains a ManageHook called doRectFloat.
You could use it to specify a size and position, and the window would
launch with that size, floating. If you didn't resize it, its size
wouldn't change and the app should run smoothly.

This isn't as good as a size-enforced tiled layout, but it's an
immediate solution.

Braden Shepherdson
shepheb