[xmonad] darcs patch: Config.hs: rm "Toggle the status bar gap... (and 3 more)

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery at ece.cmu.edu
Mon Jan 7 11:35:32 EST 2008

On Jan 7, 2008, at 11:25 , gwern0 at gmail.com wrote:

> Mon Jan  7 11:17:16 EST 2008  gwern0 at gmail.com
>   * Config.hs: rm "Toggle the status bar gap" binding
>   Per  my discussion with Roundy in the thread '[xmonad]
> automatically generating template xmonad.hs if it doesn't exist'.
> Not very useful: " I'm not too sure about this one. If you're using
> an uncustomized totally standard XMonad, are you also going to be
> using a status bar? More to the point, would you be using a
> statusbar *and* also be wanting to toggle on/off the status bar?
> (Which is what this does if I understand it.)"

If you're using an unmodified xmonad, the status bar gap is (0,0,0,0).

> Mon Jan  7 11:21:00 EST 2008  gwern0 at gmail.com
>   * Config.hs: rm 'refresh' keybinding
>   See previous patches: "And how often does one need to manually
> refresh? We recommend using a good terminal emulator like urxvt, so
> that's that, and I can't think of any others that'd benefit. Does
> anyone actually use this often? Then it might be better for them to
> add refresh to a hook."

My experience with refresh is that it's needed rarely, but when it's
needed there's no good way to do it unless the wm supports it.
Requiring the user to rebuild xmonad in that case is perhaps less
than ideal, especially if the only way they can get to that point is
ServerZap because they can't force a refresh.

Move it to an out of the way keybinding, perhaps, but removing it is
a bad idea.

system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] allbery at ece.cmu.edu