[xmonad] darcs patch: Add ShowWName a layout modifier to show the workspace...

Brent Yorgey byorgey at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 12:28:12 EST 2008

On Dec 31, 2007 8:20 AM, Andrea Rossato <mailing_list at istitutocolli.org>
wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 29, 2007 at 01:52:48PM -0500, David Roundy wrote:
> > Another approach, of course, would be to simply call an external program
> > that displays the workspace name and then vanishes.  It's a little
> hokey,
> > but I suspect kdialog could do it pretty nicely.  Actually, a simple
> >
> > spawn "kdialog --passivepopup \"" ++ string ++ "\" 1"
> >
> > ought to do the trick.  It's less easily configurable (except by kde
> > users), and requires that kdialog be installed, but it's pretty simple.
>
> I just pushed a version of ShowWName which uses denz to display to
> workspace name.
>
> dzen is probably the most common application among xmonad users.
>
> Hope it can be useful for someone.
>
> Andrea

I just tried this out and it seems to be broken for me.  If I add
'showWName' to my layout and restart, it works fine until I close a window:
after closing a window, the next workspace switch displays the workspace
name just fine, but all subsequent workspace switches just display a little
black box, as if the workspace name were empty.

If you want I can file a bug report on the google code issue tracker too.

-Brent