[xmonad] Issue 126 in xmonad: Restarting xmonad doesn't work

codesite-noreply at google.com codesite-noreply at google.com
Wed Jan 30 16:07:04 EST 2008

Issue 126: Restarting xmonad doesn't work

New issue report by v.dijk.bas:
I've had this bug for a long time (since the initial release of xmonad) but
never really reported it...

If I'm not mistaken, xmonad has the ability to restart itself. So that
you're able to modify your ~/.xmonad/xmonad.hs then press mod-q and then
immediately see the changes without logging out and in again.

For some reason this has never worked on my system.

What steps will reproduce the problem?
1. Change something in your ~/.xmonad/xmonad.hs (for example adding some
layout)
2. mod-q (or whatever you've bound to 'restart')
3. Observe that the old configuration is still in effect.

After changing xmonad.hs and pressing mod-q, I expect to see the new
configuration. So I expect to be able to use my newly added layout. Instead
I see no changes whatsoever.

I'm using the latest version from darcs (Jan 30 2008). My system is a
standard fully updated Gentoo Linux.

(Also, my brother who's also using xmonad has the exact same problem.)

This is the unmodified key binding to 'restart' in my xmonad.hs:

    -- Restart xmonad
    , ((modMask              , xK_q     ), restart "xmonad" True)

Maybe my ~/.xsession has something to do with it:

#!/bin/bash

Esetroot ~/pictures/summerwood1280.jpg &

urxvtd &

/home/bas/bin/xmonad

killall urxvtd

Issue attributes: