[xmonad] Re: Keyboard and mouse dying

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 16:04:36 EDT 2008

On 2008.07.08 16:55:04 -0300, Maurí­cio <briqueabraque at yahoo.com> scribbled 0.4K characters:
> lithis a écrit :
>> The last question in the xmonad FAQ deals with keyboard
>> lockups. Some applications grab the keyboard and fail to
>> release the grab (I find that VLC does fairly often after
>> watching a fullscreen video).
>
> Can an application grab the keyboard to the point that I
> can't use Control-Alt-Backspace? Sorry for asking, but
> I prefer to try everything before changing my X configuration.
>
> Maurício

I think that is possible; I would swear Firefox and a Urxvt extension (which both seem to call the XGrabAllKeys function or whatever was the problematic one) have both locked up my X in the past such that while the mouse moved around fluidly and fine (indicating no systemic problems), all keypresses including C-M-Backspace were ignored.

--
gwern
Security 17 speech nkvd CACI ARC SASR FTS2000 Security Ionosphere