[xmonad] Re: A New Solution to Removing the GHC Dependency

Jesús Guerrero i92guboj at terra.es
Tue Jul 22 11:38:30 EDT 2008

On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 06:49:54 -0500
brian <brianchina60221 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 4:31 AM, Miernik <public at public.miernik.name> wrote:
> > This is perfectly true. Someone here said that "124 MB is not a lot, are
> > you sure its a problem?". Well, it bloody is, its just killing the idea
> > of using a light window manager. If I wanted to scuk 124 MB just to
> > manage my windows, I would install Gnome or KDE. I am in the market for
> > lightweight tiling window managers, because I like to keep my software
> > light.
>
> XMonad is light in terms of lines of source and errors per line. If
> you're in some kind of disk space crisis that nobody else in the world
> knows anything about, you can definitely get some WM that takes fewer
> bytes on disk. But maybe just think for a minute about whether that
> would make any sense.

It definitely would for those using dialup of paying the connection per
downloaded megabyte. I've been in that club for quite some time, and I wouldn't
probably have been using fvwm all that time if I needed a kde-like download
size to use it.

Now I have broad band, but you can bet that that's not the case for everyone.
One of the "problems" of the internet is that it reaches all around the world,
and you have to consider lots of things, not only your own circumstances.

I agree that storage space is a lesser issue nowadays. But it still might
be important in some configurations/hardware.

So, as you see, things are not always black or white. There are lots of people
with different needs.
--
Jesús Guerrero <i92guboj at terra.es>