[xmonad] Re: A New Solution to Removing the GHC Dependency

Michal 'vorner' Vaner vorner at ucw.cz
Tue Jul 22 11:41:14 EDT 2008

Hello

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 05:07:22PM +0200, Miernik wrote:
> Dmitrij D. Czarkoff <czarkoff at gmail.com> wrote:
> > If You trade the disc consumption for the configurability and
> > flexibility, go install dwm.
>
> What I plan to do is to build a linux image which is packed whole into
> an iniramfs image and boots from an USB flashdisk, all into RAM, and
> then after boot I remove the flashdisk, haveing the system all in
> RAMdisk, and then do XiP (execute in place) there.

How about putting only the (already build & configured) xmonad binary
into the initramfs? You do not need online reconfiguration in it (you
would lose it to the next boot anyway, right?) And it is the only thing
you will be missing, if you do not include ghc.

Have a nice day

--
I left the ssh key under the doormat

Michal 'vorner' Vaner