[xmonad] Re: A New Solution to Removing the GHC Dependency

Adam Vogt vogt.adam at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 17:33:59 EDT 2008

* On Tuesday, July 22 2008, Miernik wrote:

>That's why I care about size - because RAM is about 25$ per GB now, so
>keeping the whole GHC in RAM costs 3$ wasted RAM space, and also power
>consumption (electricity cost) of the RAM chips. 3$ is not a lot, but
>it's also not nothing, 3$ here, 3$ there and I waste a lot of money. And
>money is time, so I want to waste less time, waiting for my applications
>to load from disk, by keeping it all in RAM all the time, and having no
>disk besides of RAMdisk on the machine.

You can save more space, if your filesystem copied to ram is compressed
using squashfs+aufs, like how livecds do it.  Using gzip compression you
halve the size of the filesystem, saving you $$! So, xmonad and friends
will take about 85M, or $1.50.

I have set up a system like that, and it is more useful in that I can spin
down my hdd indefinitely, than the faster program startup time, since the
programs I frequently use are started with xmonad.