[xmonad] Hello, and firefox

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Thu Jun 12 21:22:02 EDT 2008

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 09:16:44PM -0400, Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH wrote:

> On 2008 Jun 12, at 16:21, Jesús Guerrero wrote:
>
> >The original purpose of my original post was to find a better way to
> >launch
> >a firefox instance at workspace 2, without forcing the rest of firefox
> >instances to be shifted to that workspace. I used manageHook because I
> >don't have any other thing in my xmonad toolbox right now, but as I
> >said,
> >I doubt that's the correct way for what I intend.
>
> Hm, does the ManageHook have a way to inspect the current set of
> windows?  It should be possible to check if there is another firefox
> window, and if not then move the current one to workspace 2.

A hokier but simpler approach (if you plan on always leaving a firefox
window open on workspace 2) would be to simply check if there are any
windows in workspace 2.  This is nice because it's a pure function of
state (i.e. doesn't require any calling out to examine windows).  But
I can't say precisely how to implement it, as I haven't ever created a
ManageHook (and am not looking at the code just now).
--
David Roundy
Department of Physics