[xmonad] Hello, and firefox

Jesús Guerrero i92guboj at terra.es
Fri Jun 13 01:39:42 EDT 2008

On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 21:55:40 -0700
Devin Mullins <me at twifkak.com> wrote:

Hello,

> On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 06:22:02PM -0700, David Roundy wrote:
> > A hokier but simpler approach (if you plan on always leaving a firefox
> > window open on workspace 2) would be to simply check if there are any
> > windows in workspace 2.
>
> So, in addition to this approach, I can think of two others:
>
> 1. startupHook is run just after windows have been mapped (see the
> definition of xmonad in XMonad/Main.hsc), so you can check for any
> existing Firefox windows there and only there. At that point, you could
> either iterate over all windows and runQuery a special ManageHook that's
> not part of your usual manageHook, or use XMonad.Util.WindowProperties.
> (I'm not sure which is better.)

I will investigate this. With a bit of research I think this is doable (as
in "doable by me").

> 2. The cooler (but much harder) option would be something like
> XMonad.Hooks.ServerMode. You'd establish an EventHook that listened for
> a "shift-to-workspace" ClientMessageEvent. Then, you'd write a custom
> X11 client that looked up the Firefox window and sent the appropriate
> ClientMessage to the root window.
>
> Ideally, this could be generalized to something I've wanted to see: a
> `float` command that ran $*, tracked all of the windows it spawned, and
> asked xmonad to float them. (I'm not sure if that's possible, though.
> And, yes, I know you didn't want to float. I'm digressing.)

Although I understand it at conceptual level, I have zero haskell background,
so, I will leave advanced drugs for a later stage :P For now, I have enough
pain just trying to configure xmonad to do that I want it to do.

Thanks for all the feedback, it's been really helpful. :)
--
Jesús Guerrero <i92guboj at terra.es>