[xmonad] Issue 154 in xmonad: add support for UTF-8 locale in NamedWindows and DynamicLog

codesite-noreply at google.com codesite-noreply at google.com
Thu Mar 13 14:10:48 EDT 2008

Issue 154: add support for UTF-8 locale in NamedWindows and DynamicLog

Comment #2 by r... at ro-che.info:
<<I was a bit scared by that "Add bottom-tabbed layout", though - Roman,
did you notice that it duplicates what can be done by applying Brent's
Reflector to Tabbed?>>

You're right, I didn't see it. It would be indeed a more simple
solution. I missed it
because it's possible only in case of tabbed and generally reflecting
is _not_ the
proper tool to place decorations at bottom. I just was thinking too
generally. Thank
you for the note.

Now, about locale support. Maybe I missed something (once again :), but
I don't
understand you when it you're talking about iconv library. Why should
window manager
ever convert user's data (text) from one encoding to another? Why
should it care
whether user's locale is UTF-8 or not? (Yeah, I agree with Tuomo here,
just because
full locale support seems to me not just proper, but simple solution!)

As I said in IRC, I am not familiar with Xft yet. But if we're talking
about X11
itself, it provides full locale support for free! Just call setlocale,
use Xmb*
function (why convert strings to wc?) and get it! Why should we ignore
it and hurt
users who wish to use alternative locales?