[xmonad] Issue 154 in xmonad: add support for UTF-8 locale in NamedWindows and DynamicLog

codesite-noreply at google.com codesite-noreply at google.com
Thu Mar 13 16:31:09 EDT 2008

Issue 154: add support for UTF-8 locale in NamedWindows and DynamicLog

Comment #5 by andrea.rossato:
 > Maybe I missed something (once again :), but I don't understand you
when it you're
 > talking about iconv library. Why should window manager ever convert
user's data
> (text) from one encoding to another?

 > X11 itself, it provides full locale support for free! Just call
setlocale, use Xmb*
> function (why convert strings to wc?) and get it!

Maybe it's me the one who missed something, even if I don't see how a
shell prompt -
and the strings it may produce - can be related to the Xlib locale
support. But I
would like to stress my basic ignorance on any C strings related topic,
as I think a
repeatedly pointed out. And on any low level way of representing stuff
like strings,
numbers or whatever.

This patch/pre-bug report was meant to let you know that setLocale is
already called
when locale aware functions are used. And this is done because of the
XFT support
that was added some time ago. I don't know anything about XFT too. For
the record.

Actually report was originally meant as a joke to attach a patch to let
someone run
an i18n aware WM now. I didn't mean to do anything but that. Sorry for
the noise.