[xmonad] resource leak?

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Mon Mar 17 11:58:33 EDT 2008

On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 11:08:40AM -0700, Don Stewart wrote:
> droundy:
> > Has anyone seen signs of a resource leak in xmonad recently? I got a
> > problem where programs were dying with a message that I forgot to record
> > before restarting, and am wondering whether we might have recently
> > introduced some sort of a resource leak into xmonad? Alas, I'm at a
> > conference and won't be able to be in decent contact this week.
>
> I've not seen anything, nor heard any reports.
> However, it's always possible some funky extension is misbehaving.
>
> Also, any memory footprint concerns should be treated as bugs, and
> reported.

This wasn't a memory issue per se, but rather programs dying with an X
error indicating "resourece exhausted".  It hasn't repeated itself, so it
may relate instead to my running kpdf with a very large file (the 10MB of
abstracts from the APS March Meeting), which I had to kill a few times in
order to free up enough swap to hibernate (when you've got a search
running, kpdf eats up memory like crazy and then doesn't want to exit after
you quit).  So it looks like it's probably not an xmonad bug.  But I
figured it was worth mentioning in case other folks were seeing the same
behavior.  It took me a while to figure out what was going on, and that I
needed to reboot X.
--
David Roundy
Department of Physics