[xmonad] announce: XMonad.Util.WindowProperties

gwern0 at gmail.com gwern0 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 20:08:38 EDT 2008

On 2008.03.23 00:15:09 -0400, Spencer Janssen <sjanssen at cse.unl.edu> scribbled 1.8K characters:
> xmonad shouldn't be altering these properties -- have you seen the flags for
> urxvt and xterm to set the class and resource name?
>
> Cheers,
> Spencer Janssen

Why shouldn't it?

But I think this objection is kind of missing the point. Sure, maybe I could solve my Emacs example - if my terminal supports those options, and if I can communicate out to it, and if my needs are solely limited to those options. With that sort of logic, why do we allow xmonad.hs to do arbitrary things instead of providing a crippled config language which we can prove all sorts of nice properties about, why do Free licenses allow for any kind of use (instead of, say, forbidding military use), and so on. If one could 'annotate' a window on the fly with arbitrary fields and data, that opens up possibilities that were not there before. My copy-paste suggestion was just a simple suggestion. I am sure XMonaders could come up with other things.

I like the idea of setting properties as a way to store per-window data for extensions since it's 'outside' XMonad and so other things could use it, but if anyone knows of any way to do it as an extension in XMonad but which doesn't touch the core's data-structures, I'd be interested to hear it.

--
gwern
World IWIS Terrorism EO chameleon Bubba r00t Z-150T W3 MOD