[xmonad] Floating Workspace: How Resize Windows

Brent Yorgey byorgey at seas.upenn.edu
Sat Nov 29 19:51:55 EST 2008

On Sat, Nov 29, 2008 at 12:29:52AM +0100, Dominik Bruhn wrote:
> Hy,
> on a workspace using the "Simple Float" Layout, how can I resize a window? as
> soon as I use the Mod4+right-mouse-buttom click the doesnt get managed by the
> "Simple Float" Layout but by the internal floating layout.

See the docs for WindowArranger
(http://xmonad.org/xmonad-docs/xmonad-contrib/XMonad-Layout-WindowArranger.html),
on which SimpleFloat is based.  I agree it's not documented very well.

> Anyway: Are there any plans to implement a working floating-support? Using
> Applications Like Gimp or Inkscape is nearly impossible using xmonad.

What is it about the floating support that makes it impossible for you
to use gimp or inkscape?  I ask out of true curiosity.  Personally, I
use both these applications quite happily in xmonad.  But I realize
the loating support could be much better. There has been various talk
of redoing the floating layer for a long time, maybe it will even
happen someday. =)

-Brent