[xmonad] Call for xmonad.hs

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 22:51:38 EDT 2008

On 2008.10.19 13:02:39 -0700, Don Stewart <dons at galois.com> scribbled 1.1K characters:
> gwern0:
> > On 2008.10.19 14:13:49 +0200, Joachim Breitner <mail at joachim-breitner.de> scribbled 1.9K characters:
> > > Hi,

> > > I can help with that. Do you want more type-check errors, or more syntax
> > > erors?
> > >
> > > (SCNR)
> >
> > For most of them, it looks like they're just out-of-date. My count
> > includes a bunch of xmonad.hses which never jumped from 0.4 to 0.5,
> > and obviously from 0.5 to darcs there've been any number of API
> > reasonable to infer the user is no longer using XMonad (in which case
> > they aren't useful in considering how to make XMonad users' lives
> > easier) or are using a different config (and then obviously we should
> > care less about a configuration even its creator doesn't want to use).
> >

> If they're not type correct, moved them to an 'Old' subpage?
>
> -- Don

I think having a <0.5 subpage certainly makes sense; there's a very big difference between pre and post- there. (Going from 0.5 to darcs might just involve messing around with some imports and names for many configs, but for 0.4 to 0.5 you'd need to rewrite the danged thing.) It might even be a good idea to in this way mildly discourage spreading of old configs. (upgrade already, sheesh!)

And the rest? I dunno, perhaps a second subpage for 0.5 >= x >= 0.8, or perhaps by version.

--
gwern
SALDV Aum enigma remailers embassy NATIA in Armani Sayeret