[xmonad] many dzen instances

Jesús Guerrero i92guboj at terra.es
Thu Sep 4 15:42:02 EDT 2008

On Thu, 04 Sep 2008 21:01:09 +0200
Robert Manea <rob.manea at googlemail.com> wrote:

> I suppose you are using 'avoidStruts' to let xmonad know about the
> correct values for the dzen instances.

Yup.

> If so, then your issue are actually 2 issues:
>
> 1. Dzen sets some properties that tell xmonad to set apart some
> screenspace for it.
>     Xmonad seems to be fine with the dzen on top, the one at the very
> bottom should
>     work just as well, without any further config, though.
>
> 2. The second issue is the way how dzen decides to set those properties.
> It does this
>     by inspecting wether it touches either the top or bottom edge of the
> screen, and only sets
>     strut information if this is actually the case.
>
>     This means a dzen that does not touch one of the screen borders will
> never be recognized
>     by xmonad and get extra space.
>
> I'm not sure if the latest xmonad release still contains code to
> manually set a gap, but this  for sure
> would be the easiest way to solve your issue in a simple way.

I understand. I also thought of that solution, and I think the code is still
there, but I haven't even tried, since that would be only a temporal workaround
if the code is going to be deprecated soon.

However, there were some other concerns. I thikn that conky was leaking memory
or something. That and a few other annoyances made me switch. I now use a couple
of gkrellms on the right side of one of my monitors to monitor a couple of
boxes, and all is fine. I keep one dzen on the top for my windows, layouts
and workspaces.

So, after all I found a suitable solution for me.

Thanks for the response.

--
Jesús Guerrero <i92guboj at terra.es>