[xmonad] Re: Re-inserting keystrokes as X events for client

Bárður Árantsson spam at scientician.net
Thu Sep 11 13:44:01 EDT 2008

Jérémy Bobbio wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 08:59:08AM +0200, Bárður Árantsson wrote:
>> Is there a way to re-insert the original keystroke as an X event for the
>> currently focused client in response to a keybinding?
>>
>> Basically I want to do a keybindings along these lines:
>>
>> ((controlMask, xK_t), submap . M.fromList $
>>   [ ((0, xK_r), whatever)
>>   , ((0, xK_f), whatever)
>>   , ((0, xK_t), <re-send the original keystroke to the focused client>)
>>   ])
>>
>> so that I essentially have a "prefix" key of C-t for all my rarely used
>> xmonad commands, but if I need to actually send a C-t to the client I
>> can still do so by pressing C-t twice.
>>
>> (I've tried searching around for an answer to this but my Google-fu
>> seems to be lacking.)
>
> See the "Ratpoison key emulation" thread:
>   http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/xmonad/2008-July/005954.html
>
> Cheers,

Thanks for that link. Looks very promising, but I can't for the life of
me figure out where to get setKeyEvent from.

A search suggests that it should be in Graphics.X11.Xlib.Extras, but it
doesn't seem to be exported from there (I have the 1.4.2 version of the
X11 module installed).

Cheers,

--
Bardur Arantsson
<bardurREMOVE at THISscientician.net>

- You don't exist. I've killed you. Jill Layton is dead.
- Care for a little necrophilia?
                               Sam Lowry and Jill Layton / Brazil