[xmonad] terminal that can handle being resized?

Andreas Niederl rico32 at gmx.net
Thu Sep 18 03:57:10 EDT 2008

Hi,

Matt Brown wrote:
> I'm using one of the standard layouts, where one window is bigger than
> all the others, which is great, except my terminal emulator (xterm,
> tried rxvt too) doesn't handle being resized very well.  It starts
> wrapping at the new width (also great).  My problem is that when a
> window starts out big, then gets shrunk and restored to its original
> size, all the old lines are truncated at the small width.  the rest of
> the window is blank.  is there a terminal that can handle being
> resized better, or a config option for either of these?  or is there a
> way I can get xmonad to ask the window to redraw itself?

I'm also having this problem and after some stracing I'm pretty sure
that I'm experiencing a race condition in the Linux kernel between the
terminal size ioctls.

According to a Debian bugreport [1] mentioned on the rxvt-unicode list
[2] this was introduced in 2.6.26rc1 and resolved in 2.6.27rc1.

Regards,
Andi

[2] http://lists.schmorp.de/pipermail/rxvt-unicode/2008q3/000688.html