[xmonad] Re: Problem running Xmonad

Arnaud Bailly abailly at oqube.com
Tue Sep 23 05:03:57 EDT 2008

Devin Mullins <me at ...> writes:

> As an example of this:
>
> import XMonad
> import qualified XMonad.StackSet as W
> import XMonad.Config.Gnome
> import XMonad.Util.EZConfig (additionalKeys)
>
> main = xmonad $ gnomeConfig { -- NOTE the extra $ sign
>          modMask  = mod4Mask
>        }
>        `additionalKeys`
>        -- copied-ish from XMonad/Config.hs
>        [((m .|. mod4Mask, k), windows $ f i)
>          | (i, k) <- zip (workspaces gnomeConfig) [xK_KP_1 .. xK_KP_9]
>          , (f, m) <- [(W.greedyView, 0), (W.shift, shiftMask)]]

Let me translate:
 - m .|. is modifier of keys
 - k is keysym (?)
 - windows is a function that activate some window
 - f is activation mode (?)
 - i is window number extracted from gnome

The given setting does not work. On my keyboard, 1 is over '&', so maybe I could
try xK_K_AMP (or something similar) ?

> Given that you're holding shift, I'm surprise it doesn't zap the window
> to the other workspace. I guess xev might help. Oh, you crazy kids and
> your keyboard layouts.

Hmmm. I am getting a bit old for a kid, given I have kids myself. And actually,
all french, belgian, swiss, french canadian and quite a bunch of african
countries keyboards have such a layout, which makes for approximatively a couple
hundred million people ;-)

Best regards and thanks again for helping,
Arnaud