[xmonad] Opinions (skip if you are busy)

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.homelinux.org
Sat Apr 4 22:47:27 EDT 2009

On Sat, Apr 04, 2009 at 10:38:43PM -0300, Ismael Carnales wrote:
> What was my first thinking? No screenshots of the results of the usage
> of the module (only the withIM LayoutModifier had one, my preferred
> contrib), overlapping and difficult to understand functionality and
> some real gems that make your day-to-day life with Xmonad worh it.

Yes, yes, yes!

For a number of contrib modules, the documentation is minimal, they
don't explain what the module is for, what the results should be, what
the parameters *mean*.  Sure, they have a one-sentence description, but
that isn't enough.

A picture paints a thousand words; while screenshots wouldn't replace
good documentation, they would augment good documentation.

The difficulty, though, with providing screenshots is that they would be
best seen *with* the documentation for a module, but said documentation
is in the haskell code of the module (which is a Good Thing, don't get
me wrong) but that doesn't provide (so far as I know) the ability to add
in images to the generated HTML.

I know that someone did some screenshots on a separate page, but the
problem with that is that it's separated from the modules in question,
and also it has limited coverage.

I'm not sure what the solution is, but it would be nice to have one...

*thinks*

Ah, there's a page on the wiki full of screenshots:
http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Xmonad/Screenshots

But it's a rather wild mixture...

What would make it easier for people to contribute screenshots?  Ones
that were clear examples of different layouts?
What would be nice would be
a) a list of all known layouts (alphabetical?)
b) a screenshot of each
c) a snippet of code which shows how that particular layout was
configured.

That's probably too much for one person to do, but maybe a bunch of
people...?

Kathryn Andersen