[xmonad] Opinions (skip if you are busy)

Ismael Carnales icarnales at gmail.com
Sun Apr 5 18:53:26 EDT 2009

Sorry, my English is not the best, I'm from Uruguay.

To clarify some things:

 * I've never tried to make this an XMonad vs Awesome thread (I hate the latter)
 * As I explain in my mail I think XMonad is the most useful piece of
software running in my machine :)

What I do say is that Awesome does some things good in aspects that
XMonad could do better:

These are:

 * Being more friendly for customization out of the box: I don't talk
here about changing configuration system or anything like that.
Altough I think it would be good to include 2 or 3 different
functional config.hs (with some common twaks) and an annotated one
maybe saying things like: # for a status bar you can use xmonadDzen or
xmonadXmobar, or look at the modules X, Y .... and other basic things
like UrgencyHook, etc.

 * Publicity/Advertising: Awesome is pure blah, and unluckily its
everywhere. I know that some efforts are being done to improve the
communication in general (Webpage, Blog etc) and I think that we
should help with this, writing beginner-oriented info, and some guides
like the official tour but for the contrib set of modules (that could
go in the main page instead of wiki) and also try to show the world
what XMonad is capable of.

As I said before I offer my help to go in this direction (or the one
that we think could be more appropriate), I've made an effort in the
past to made a tour-a-like of the contribs, it's in here:

http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/XMonadContribTour

The las Pimp your XMonad used part of the document
(http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/XMonadContribTour#Getting_notifications_on_events)
as a starting-point (yay!) I think that this kind of documents belong
somewere in the homepage, to be really easy to find, and one more
thing .. we need screenshots, lots of screenshots, of simple separated
things.

So feel free to contact me or ask for help in getting some of these
things (or others) done, bye!