[xmonad] Project to make tiling window managers more accessible to newcomers

Adam Vogt vogt.adam at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 00:33:03 EDT 2009

* On Friday, April 10 2009, Jan Vornberger wrote:

>On Wed, Apr 08, 2009 at 09:36:23AM -0700, Don Stewart wrote:
>> Will you be contributing back changes/modifications/... to the main
>> xmonad source? What else can we do to help your effort?
>
>Oh, one question that just came to mind: What are your suggestions in
>terms of how to set up the development environment? Are you usually
>using something like Xnest to test XMonad during development?

If the changes can be restricted to just XMonadContrib, then it is pretty
difficult to accidentally to cause xmonad to crash.

But you can write quickCheck properties, though for impure code (the
interesting extensions), it gets a bit more tricky to set up the
environment ... which is why XMonad.StackSet has many more tests than all
of contrib combined?

>And is it really necessary to run through the whole 'configure, build,
>install' process everytime there is a code change, like the 'xmonad
>development tutorial' on the wiki suggests?

I use something the last patch posted here, where any contrib modules can
lie in ~/.xmonad/lib/XMonad/Bleh/ and be imported into ~/.xmonad/xmonad.hs:

Disclaimer: I seem to be the only one using that patch for some resason :)
...  so maybe the old way isn't that inconvenient?

--
Adam